Wednesday 12 June 2013

Genre of my Magazine



My chosen brief states that I must create a magazine of which is regional, and as I live in Cornwall, I have come up with what I believe to be interesting ideas to begin the pre-production planning of my magazine. There are many themes of which can be taken on due to the location, as Cornwall is one of the most popular places in the UK for surfing, and also  has a stereotype of being full of pasties and beaches. Therefore, I could create a sports or food magazine, though I am not particularly interested in either of these areas and do not know much about them. 

I am interested in fashion and fashion magazines, therefore have decided upon giving my own magazine the genre of fashion. Cornwall is full of themed clothing, for example, as one of Cornwall's predominant industry's is farming, there are a lot of shops which produce and sell clothing of which is appropriate for farming.

The fashion industry has recently taken on the theme of farming; granting garments, such as tweed jackets and dungarees, as fashionable items. I have thought about how I could represent the common stereotype of Cornwall through the use of this particular fashion, whilst also appealing to my target audience with the current fashion; precisely what they would want and expect in a fashion magazine, thus catering to their needs. 
I am planning on searching for boutiques locally, as I have noticed that a lot of magazines, especially local ones, feature things like 'places to shop' and 'where to go'.  This can easily relate to any one in the area who is interested in the shop or town of which it is located; or could introduce wonderful new shops to anyone in the area who wants to know where to purchase the latest fashion. It also promotes the boutique, which, if I was produing a magazine for publishing, could be paid for as advertising by the shop.

The idea that Mulvey had in 'The Male Gaze', was that women in the media are portrayed in a sexualised way that allows them to only be there for the viewing pleasure of males. Personally, I agree with this theory strongly. The reasoning for this is due to magazines such as 'Nuts', 'Playboy', and 'Zoo' feature women in the nude for the pleasure of each male that purchases a copy, yet they do not have a version for the gaze of females. This could be down to the idea that females either do not want to be seen purchasing a magazine of this nature, or that they do not feel the need to view males in this particular light. Though the point still stands, women ae heavily sexualised in the media, whilst males are considerably less. I want my magazine to defy her theory, creating role models for young girls, rather than creating perfect women which no one can live up to because they are not real. I will show young females that it is okay to be themselves, and give them the confisdence that they need to avoid any disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, or even depression; because these illnesses are incredibly dangerous to girls of such a fragile and vulnerable age.

1 comment:

  1. Proficient opening thoughts and planning for your portfolio with some focus on your audience and comments on similar and contrasting products.

    ReplyDelete