Monday 4 November 2013

TOAST Feature Analysis

 
Often, in feature pages, rather than including a plain background, the main image is the background. I feel as though this would be good for my own magazine, ensuring focus on my photography, which, for me, if an important factor in success. Toast has used an image of something that directly relates to the subject of the article; it is an interview with a director. This would be especially good in the context of fashion, focusing more on the imagery rather than the article itself, seeing as my own product will be targeted on students, interested in fashion. They want to know how to dress, they want to be told. That is precisely what I will do.
 
In terms of the colour palette, the feature is quite dark, dingy, and dull. This makes the shocks of colour really stand out and draw the eyes in to these particular parts, suggesting that they are perhaps more important than the rest. The questions are in red, as to separate them from the answers, and add more excitement to such a dark, monochrome piece. The name of the person who is being interviewed is also in red, 'Jon Crooks', as to drum the name into the readers head. I often find myself forgetting the names of those who I read about in magazines, as there is so much to take in, but his name has been emphasised to the point where it is actually quite difficult to forget it. The logo for 'Dogbite' has been incorporated, for the reasoning of promoting his new company and introducing it to the student readers. The other imagery on the page has been bordered with film, relating to the subject and making the magazine look somewhat artsy. 

This is far too dark to be a style model for my fashion magazine, as it needs to be bright, happy and remind the reader of feelings of happiness. Though, I do like the way in which the questions have been singled out from the interview with a shocking red, so this is definitely something to think about incorporating into my own magazine if I end up including an interview, though I am not sure whether or not this is something that I want to focus on within my work. I would rather make the piece solely about fashion.

1 comment:

  1. TOAST ANALYSES POSTS: three detailed and complete analyses of a regional magazine with clear focus conventions and audience.

    ReplyDelete