Wednesday 18 December 2013

Preparation for my Photo Shoot: Model/Costume/Makeup


As the side of fashion that will be observed throughout the process of the creation of my magazine, I have decided upon doing a high fashion photo shoot with vintage clothing. The reasoning for it being high fashion is because I want to ensure that my magazine looks professional aesthetically, and appeal to the audience of students by representing how they see themselves in the future through fashion. But, I will portray it through a female of whom is of the same age group, almost boasting to them how she is already where they want to be, and that they are able to also be there if they purchase the magazine.

Preferences for my model would be a soft blonde; a portrayal of how the vintage clothing is charming and soft, rather than harsh on the eyes. She will need to be tall, especially if I am putting her in a long garment.  I do have a model in mind, and that is Isabella Gelston. She fits each of these traits and has had experience in the past with modeling. As she is also a student and a close friend of mine, she will do the modeling for free, as not to cut into any sort of budget that I might have.

When I spoke to the woman who works in the costume department at Lanhydrock house (where I will be completing my shoot), she said that I am able to borrow her costume, which is an actual garment once worn by victorians. This is perfect for my model to wear, as it would reflect my feature theme perfectly, vintage clothing. I will also being doing an outfit change at some point, and have decided to use a dress from the textiles department that one of the students made, which comes with an adorable small cape. As my magazine is regional, so based around Cornwall, this would be a good aspect to incorporate into my work; emerging designers from Cornwall. This will appeal to my target audience of students, as students often want to observe others work, perhaps even to see if they can improve on their own.

In terms of makeup, I believe that smokey eyes would be the most appropriate eye makeup. This cannot be too harsh on her blue eyes however, as not to distract from them; it also cannot be too natural due to the fact that I will be doing a high fashion shoot, and would want the model to look somewhat fabulous. This gives a spin on the theme of vintage, mixing it with modern beauty. The basic base of foundation will be applied, along with concealer, but I do not feel the need to go overboard with makeup, especially seeing as I can edit it in Photoshop if it does not look quite right, especially on the eyebrows. Pink/red lipstick that is not too dark or bright is something that I feel is important. For some of the images, Isabella's hair will be up in a bun, but the majority down and straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment