Thursday 1 May 2014

Institution

Earlier in my blog, I made a post on institution and included this link as my research:
http://prezi.com/vhcekclkyu5y/fashion-magazine-institutions/

From this, I discovered that I would be part of Hearst magazines, as this is the one of which my magazine fits best with considering it has magazines similar to, but not exactly the same, as my product. I also feel as though I could bring a niche market to their company and widen up their overall audience, because I doubt that they currently target themselves directly towards the Cornish. 

An area of niche magazines is becoming more popular within our society, which is regional magazines. this is due to people enjoying reading something that is directly targeted towards them and their practices, as they can relate directly to the content. People love the idea of reading about what is going on where they are, that is why local newspapers are so popular, and publishers are starting to reaise that and produce more regional magazines. As of this the publishing group Northcliffe Media now encompass 84 newspapers/magazines across the UK with 5.8 million readers, these magazines include ‘This is Cornwall’. Norcliffe media is owned by the daily mail and General trust, which is a British media conglomerate and one of the largest in Europe. 'This is Cornwall' has an element to it that convinces the readers that it is a lovely little niche magazine that is produced individually by people in Cornwall, but is actually controlled by one of the biggest conglomerate powers that we have in Britain. Though individual magazines are becoming more popular, there is a struggle to make it by themselves when they have such bought competition, the major revenue is being made by the conglomerates.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent research prezi with an active link and some proficient research details and comments to inform your production.

    ReplyDelete